ALLIANCE FOR THE SEED INDUSTRY IN EASTERN AND SOUTHERN AFRICA (ASIESA)
Quality seed is the most important agricultural input. Without quality seed use of fertilizer, irrigation, crop-chemicals, or improved management practices is unlikely to produce the crop yield increases needed to enhance food security in Africa.
The African seed industry has registered slow growth due to a broad range of challenges, including:
- Lack of access to competitive credit
- Poor infrastructure,
- Bad policies
- Restrictive regulations,
- Technical and economic constraints.
- Building of profitable seed companies is critical to ensuring sustainable supply of quality seed to farmers.
In response to the challenges above, AFSTA and COMESA teamed up in 2010 to create the Alliance for the Seed Industry in Eastern and Southern Africa (ASIESA). This is a public-private partnership whose goal is to create a reliable source of improved quality seeds the region by addressing the constraints facing the supply of certified seeds to farmers. Phase one of ASIESA is being implemented in Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Madagascar through their National Seed Trade Associations (NSTAs).
The objectives of ASIESA are to:
Strengthen capacities of national seed trade associations;
Train members on seed-related topics;
Establish seed testing laboratories under the auspices of by national seed trade associations;
Establish field demonstration farms
Facilitate access to credit by establishing a revolving fund
Participate in the harmonization of seed regulations in the region
THE EXPECTED OUTCOMES
The following outcomes are expected from ASIESA after five years of implementation:
- Access to affordable and reliable supply of high quality seeds improved.
- Number of profit-making indigenous seed companies increased.
- Effective and efficient seed distribution and extension chains established.
- Voices of seed enterprises heard on seed related issues.
- Enabling seed and grain policy and regulatory environments promulgated.
The ASIESA is a multi-donor seed project with initial funding provided by USAID. It is expected that more development partners would join ASIESA to make it a success.
Click on this to view the ASIESA Launch that was at the Hilton Hotel, Nairobi Kenya 17-18 May 2012
For more information, contact:
African Seed Trade Association (AFSTA)
Jumuia Place 1st floor, Wing B, Lenana Road
P.O. Box 2428, 00202 KNH Nairobi, Kenya
Tel.: +254 20 2727 853/860
Fax.: +254 20 2727 861