27th February to 1st March 2018 – Cairo, Egypt.
AFSTA is a not-for-profit membership association formed in 2000 to champion interests of private seed companies in Africa. It is registered in Kenya as an International Organization with an office for West Africa in Dakar, Senegal. Currently, the Association has about 100 members comprising of seed companies and National Seed Trade Associations, among others.
To promote trade in quality seed and technologies in Africa for the benefit of members and farmers
To be the principal organization at the centre of achieving sustainable food security through use of quality seed for improved livelihoods in Africa.
The objectives of AFSTA are to:
- Promote the trade in quality seeds;
- Strengthen communication with African seed industries and with the world;
- Facilitate establishment of national seed trade associations in Africa;
- Provide information on seed to members;
- Interact with regional governments and NGOs involved in seed activities in order to promote the interests of the private seed industry;
- Promote activities that lead to regulatory harmonization throughout Africa to facilitate movement of seed; and
- Develop a statistical database on African seed production and trade.